Task 1: Explore Science Blogs
According to the Oxford Dictionary (Opens in new window), a blog is “a regularly updated website or web page, typically run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.” Many organizations and individuals maintain science blogs for others to follow. Explore two or more of these various science blogs (click around, read a few posts – get a feel for the blog):
- Ecological Society of America
- PLOS Biology
- The Applied Ecologist
- Journal of Ecology – Blog
- The Daily Galaxy
- IOP – Institute of Physics
Part of your final culminating activity for this course will be an action plan to address an ecological concern. You will create a series of blog posts to begin investigating topics that you might want to pursue.
Reflect on the blogs that you read and as you explore the blogs ask yourself:
- What do you See?
- How are the blogs organized?
- What does a typical post look like?
- What else do you observe?
- What makes a blog interesting?
- Why do people enjoy reading blogs?
- What are the differences between the blogs you explored?
- What do you not yet know about blogs?