Chemical Valley – Share your thoughts…
Why is knowledge about chemicals and chemical reactions important to everyone in society?
Ontario’s chemical industry directly employs over 50 000 people, who created and sold products worth over $22 billion in 2008. The chemical industry has had many positive effects on Ontario’s economy. However, as with many human activities, the chemical industry can have unintended negative effects…
Read through the article
Watch the video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHWZE0M_-k
The Aamjiwnaang First Nation Reserve and Chemical Valley – chemicals are everywhere, but the use and disposal of chemicals comes with a responsibility to the environment
- Aamjiwnaang First Nation – the website for the Aamjiwnaang First Nation
- Environmental Health Perspectives – the magazine where Ada Lockridge published her results (look for it…)
- Canadian Natives Blame Toxins for Fewer Sons – a MSNBC report on Chemical Valley
- Aamjiwnaang First Nation in Sarnia sounds alarm over toxins – a CBC report on Chemical Valley
- EnvironmentalChemistry.com – a collection of resources and news about chemistry and the environment
Part One: Video or Podcast
- Answer the question posed under the heading “Issue.” Support your answer using the information in this activity.
- This will be posted on our class Flipgrid… information on how to login coming soon
- You will need to post one of your own and then you will respond to two others… using good discussion sills.
Part Two: Thoughts in your Comments
- Put your answers to this in the comment section below this post…
- Would you expect an employee of a chemical plant to come to the same conclusions about the health problems on the Aamjiwnaang First Nation Reserve as Lockridge and her colleagues? Why?
- Environmental Health Perspectives is a peer-reviewed journal. A peer-reviewed journal is one in which expert scientists must review and approve research before it is published. Do you think it was important for Lockridge and her colleagues to publish their research in a peer-reviewed journal? Why?
Worksheets and Resources
Click to Download.
When My Work is Finished...
All work will be submitted digitially through Flipgrid and in the comment section below.