Please complete this work over the course of the week. There will be a submission box for it in Teams.
Producing Penicillin (5mins)
- How did soldiers and others from the World War II era treat open wounds? Was this treatment effective?
- What was the main shortcoming of penicillin when it was tested in human subjects?
- How did Florey and Chain turn Fleming’s 10-year-old discovery of penicillin into an effective treatment for infections?
- How has the production of penicillin affected society?
How Antibiotics Work (3min)
- What are each type of antibiotics below and how do they do their job (be specific)?
- What kind are penicillin’s?
- What is the difference between broad spectrum and narrow spectrum antibiotics?
- Why do antibiotics not work on viruses?
Antibiotic vs Bacteria: Fighting the Resistance (5min)
- Why is gonorrhea an issue?
- How does antimicrobial resistance occur? Give details.
- What can you do to fight antimicrobial resistance? Give details.
Decreasing Effectiveness of Antibiotics (3mins)
12. In what important way are antibiotics different from other classes of drugs
13. Who was the first person to warn about antibiotic resistance – when was this?
There is a seperate submission box for these questions.
Frontline: The Trouble with Antibiotics (55mins)
**The final 20 minutes deals with an outbreak of a resistant bacteria in a hospital – it is extremely sad as patients were lost. Please if you think this may be triggering to you – skip this part. Just make a note for me on the workpage.
- Where are most of the antibiotics used in the United States?
- Describe in a few sentences the relationship between antibiotic usage and industrial farming:
- What percentage of the antibiotics in the United States are sold to farms?
- According to the documentary, what are some of the benefits of using antibiotics on farm animals?
- How does antibiotic resistant bacteria get from the animals/meat to humans?
- When were antibiotics first used on farm animals in the United States?
- What percentage of meat that Dr. Price tested contained traces of the “bad” e. coli?
- Think about the current FDA practice of tracking antibiotic usage by the amount of antibiotics sold rather than by the amount of antibiotics used.
- What are some of the possible advantages and challenges of asking the pharmaceutical companies to voluntarily not sell antibiotics to farms strictly for growth process?
- Should antibiotics that are important for human medical purposes not be given to farm animals even if it means animals may be more prone to infection? Why or why not?
National Institutes of Health KPC Outbreak
- Outline the issues seen at National Institutes of Health with KPC.
- What is KPC?
- How did the outbreak happen?
- How were patients treated?
- What was their procedure to deal with the outbreak? Were they successful?
Take a Stand – Should non-therapeutic use of antibiotics in farm animals be banned?
The Frontline episode showed you the American side of this issue. Research this issue with a Canadian lens – perhaps even Ontario. Are antibiotics as prevalent in our meat and dairy? Get a good sense of this issue. You will be creating a well researched opinion paragraph (or two!!) surrounding the following:
Statement: Non-therapeutic use of antibiotics in farm animals should be banned.
Research the issue. Learn more about the misuse of antibiotics, new strains of drug-resistant bacteria, and the resurgence of diseases such as cholera and tuberculosis. Use Canadian sources (not American)
Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
Put your paragraph (or two) below in the comment section. Be sure to include your references!! APA style references required.