Computer: Genetics Disorders
Go to http://resources.elearningontario.ca/ , log in and search for ELO1244260. Click the link.
Read the content (note anything that you need to remember). Now…
There are many ethical issues that surround the screening of genetic disorders and how individuals will deal with the results. Leaders in the areas of medicine, science, politics, and religion all have opinions, thoughts, and beliefs about what should and should not be allowed. As genetic research continues to increase our understanding of the human genome and medicine creates new options, more questions arise and complex ethical issues continue to come up.
In this assignment you will research some of the ethical issues that arise due to genetic research and you will share your opinions/thoughts about them with your classmates.
Assignment: Using the Internet as a resource, research at least 10 of the following issues that are related to genetic research.
- Artificial insemination
- Artificial life
- Assisted suicide
- Contraception (birth control)
- Euthanasia (human, non-human animal)
- Gene therapy
- Genetically modified food
- Genetically modified organism
- Human cloning
- Human genetic engineering
- Infertility (treatments)
- Population control
- Reproductive rights
- Sperm and eggs (donation)
- Stem cell research
Put research notes in your LiveBinders for all 10 in your LiveBinders. Write a paragraph sharing your opinion/thoughts for at least three of the ethical issues (one paragraph of at least 150 words per issue). Put these paragraphs under this post. You are required to comment to 3 other classmates posts – do you agree with your classmates or not – WHY? Explain your reasoning…
SMART Board: Mitosis and Meiosis Review
Work through and note: Mitosis Review…
Work through and note: Meiosis multimedia
Watch Meiosis Review (27 min)
Physical Lab: Human Heredity Traits
Go to 3 separate classrooms. Take a poll to find out who has what traits. Record the number of students that do/don’t. Follow the prompts on the worksheet of Human Heredity.
Now… Create your person using the worksheet!! Follow the directions and have fun!
MP3 Players: Genetics 101 and Spit!
- Watch the 4 Genetic 101 videos. You may need to watch them several times to get all the good information out of them. Note what may be important for later recall.
- Watch ‘Mailing my Spit’. Write your emotional response to it. Would it be cool to be able to this, should you be able to do this?
- Watch ’23 and Me – 1 year follow up’. What good points does she make about this type of testing. Is she a ‘happy customer’ when it comes to the results. Did she find anyone in her ‘family tree’?